itelligence provide a perfect blend of global presence and personal service. Their support consultants really do understand the contextual usage of SAP within our organisation which has resulted in a very high level of service. The agility and willingness of the itelligence SAP Support team brings together knowledge, capability and the skills we need to embark on our digital journey.
Jamie Adams, Chief Information Officer, Scapa
Výzvy a přínosy
- Legacy IT hardware was running out of warranty
- The issues experienced from maintaining services on a traditional platform led to a review of our IT infrastructure requirements
- Reliance on key support personnel exposed an element of risk
- Security concerns with the SAP on prem landscape and limited disaster recovery systems in place
- Improved operational and cost efficiencies
- Current Return on Investment includes savings of circa £500,000 on a like for like basis with previous platform
- Much easier to grow/reduce infrastructure to meet the developing needs of the business
- Increased level of resilience and security through the new SAP platform
- Full business continuity services
- SAP Business Suite (EHP7) hosted on Microsoft Azure
- itelligence SAP AMS Services
Moving to the Cloud
In collaboration with itelligence, who have been supporting their SAP landscape since 2016, the organisation reviewed Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) and Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) options. Scapa’s preference was to move forward with an IaaS model using Microsoft Azure due to previous positive experiences of hosting solutions on the Azure platform. itelligence provided guidance and advice with a structured plan to move from their SAP on premise landscape to a managed cloud environment. This included the timing, sequencing and logistics in order to migrate to development, test and live environments.
The migration project ran from January to May 2018 with Scapa now running a safe and secure SAP environment. Savings have been signiﬁcant at circa £0.5m on a like for like basis, achieved through reduced energy costs and simpliﬁed IT infrastructure administration. The migration to the new platform has enabled Scapa to establish a comprehensive disaster recovery plan and business continuity plan. Previously, switching between primary and secondary environments would have been highly technical and complex but is now achievable in minutes. The secondary environment encompasses the complete SAP landscape with interfaces, printers, labelling and access points all fully tested. Vulnerabilities have been dramatically reduced and clear communication processes enabled.
Scapa operate an internal SAP support function that is augmented by itelligence SAP Support (SAP AMS). The interface between Scapa and the itelligence Service Desk is now critical to maintaining an effective SAP solution. The close collaboration has resulted in the operation of a single support team with key itelligence consultants operating in both a support role and as a functional analyst with deep technical knowledge of the Scapa environment. The migration project was delivered on time and to budget with the responsiveness of the itelligence SAP Support team being a major factor in the project success. With a new managed cloud environment, Scapa is ideally placed to continue their digital journey. Current plans include a review of SAP S/4HANA and alignment to the SAP roadmap to ensure the organisation continues to get the most out of SAP and its future innovations.