Scott will be speaking at the upcoming SAPinsider Financials Show. His session, “Streamline the planning and close processes to dramatically improve performance with SAP Business Planning and Consolidation 10 on SAP HANA,” is taking place on Wednesday, March 19. Be sure to attend his session or stop by the itelligence booth #1100 to say hello.
Tell us about your role at itelligence.
I am responsible for the BPC technical services delivery and related areas for Aster Group, an itelligence company. This role includes managing our technical resources as well as our internal lab environment, of which we have all versions since 4.x represents (MS and NW). I have been with Aster/itelligence for nine years and running our BPC upgrade program for the last five. To date, I have been involved with, or managed, more than 150 upgrades/initiatives. I spend much of my time in a presales capacity, speaking with and educating clients and prospects about the technical aspects of BPC along with scoping projects/upgrades. I regularly speak on topics such as BPC upgrade processes (MS and NW), SAP BPC on HANA, and BI/BPC integration.
Tell us three things most people don’t know about you.
- I am a musician (guitar, bass) and had a song of mine copyrighted and recorded in the early ‘90’s with my band Gypsy Child. I also had a lot of hair back then. 🙂
- My wife and I are actively involved with various local dog rescues, particularly with providing transport services when needed. We adopted two rescue dogs and cats and have fostered or helped find homes for others.
- I was once a client that actually implemented BPC (then OutlookSoft) as a Director of IT more than 10 years ago. Aster was my implementer and that was my introduction to the product. A few positions later, I had the opportunity to join the team.
If you’re not at a customer site, what are you doing?
Given the volume of clients/prospects I speak with on a regular basis, I actually work out of the home office quite often. When not working or staying current on technology trends, I am usually walking the dogs, assisting with rescue related efforts, watching various TV series on Netflix/Amazon Prime, listening to music, following Boston sports teams, or spending time down at the beaches in Fort Myers and Sanibel Island, FL. I reside in Fort Myers (originally from the Boston area).
What do you see as the biggest trends in your particular area of business in 2014?
- Continued adoption of SAP HANA in the BPC space. As more and more components (particularly MDX logic related) are moved into the HANA layer, we will see even better performance improvement with BPC in a HANA context.
- Mobile use for BPC. With the new SAP EPM Unwired platform, SAP has shown they are committed to a native mobility client for BPC.
- More clients moving to the 10.x platform. With mainstream maintenance ending in a few years for 7.x clients, BPC users will need to plan to get to the BPC 10.x versions. Additionally, for Office 2013 users, they will need to be on 10.x to leverage BPC.
What do you like about working for itelligence?
I like working for itelligence because it is a very diverse group with all of the SAP skillsets very well represented. The best thing about Aster Group becoming part of itelligence is the access to all of these resources. Everyone I have engaged with has been knowledgeable, friendly and great to work with.
Can you please share a best practice or personal insight you’ve gained from your job experience that you think would be beneficial to helping your colleagues?
Collaboration is a great thing. No one person has all the answers all the time, but collectively any challenge can be resolved.