DfT needed a trusted provider to deliver technical 3rd line support to our Business Intelligence team. itelligence provided the Department with a high quality support service, with a thorough and comprehensive on-boarding service. They have been keen to understand our key business drivers and offered dedicated technical support when technical issues arose, responding to our service tickets in a quick and professional manner.
Sarah Baskerville, Head of BI Systems, Department for Transport
The Department for Transport (DfT) is responsible for providing policy, guidance and funding to local authorities in the UK to help them run and maintain their road networks, improve passenger and freight travel, and develop new major transport schemes. Additionally the department works to maintain high standards of safety and security in transport and also to make our roads less congested and polluted by promoting lower carbon transport, including cycling and walking.
The Department works with 19 agencies, trading funds and central government bodies to support the transport network that undeniably links UK’s businesses and gets people and goods travelling around the country.
Uitdagingen en voordelen
- Producing Management information in a timely fashion
- Inconsistent MI across department
- Review internal systems and discovered SAP BPC in use in a division of DfT
- Business case drawn up for enterprise wide deployment of SAP BPC
- A single version of the truth - One Management Information System
- Improved reporting governance and standardised business processes
- A common set of core agreed financial and HR content for monthly reporting
- Dramatic improvements to data quality, control and definitions
- New capability to visualise KPI data
- Access to skilled BPC experts to help drive a clear data and technology strategy
- SAP BusinessObjects Planning and Consolidation, version for the Microsoft platform
- itelligence Application Managed Services (AMS)
About the Project
The DfT were aware of the capability of SAP BPC following a small deployment within one of their operating divisions and undertook a business case review to see if an enterprise wide deployment of SAP BPC would meet with public sector best value criteria. Following this economic test, the Department undertook to deploy SAP BPC and built an in-house team to effectively use the solution. It was apparent that specialised skills were missing from the team and the Department turned to itelligence to assist. itelligence reviewed SAP BPC against business requirements and introduced SAP BPC expertise to the in-house team to help train and upskill DfT staff to effectively run SAP BPC.
Sarah Baskerville, Head of BI Systems, DfT commented “itelligence was able to give us access to specialist SAP BPC resources when we needed them. This has allowed the Department to spend more time enhancing and optimising rather than simply administering the SAP BPC system.”
As a result, the DfT has been able to leverage their current SAP BPC architecture to provide a single version of the truth with consistent data inputs. With automated reporting through standard processes, DfT now produce monthly reporting across all relevant stakeholders (Board, DG Groups, Directors) for both Finance and HR. The Department now uses one solution, leveraging SAP BPC to support reporting and SAP BPC is now regarded as a business critical MI system.